David Platt encourages his readers to spend 2% of their coming year (approximately 1 week) serving in another context. That could be on an overseas mission trip or simply an area of town that gets someone out of his/her comfort zone.
I love traveling, so an overseas trip seems like a logical choice; however, I have to check my motivation sometimes for taking trips like that. Though regardless of my motivation, I've always been challenged as a result of trips like that. Challenged and humbled. There are so many needs around the world. When I'm comfy at home, I barely even recognize those needs.
Another option: homeless ministry. I have some friends who have been going out to a local park every Thursday night for the past two years simply to have dinner with some of our city's homeless (or less-fortunate... as many of them have some place to stay). It's been an eye-opening experience, though I've been very inconsistent at going... here and there... as it's convenient.
Another context: Children's ministry?! ;) Surprising as it is, I was thinking here recently how much I've enjoyed my nieces when they've been in the 2-3 year old range. I wonder what it would be like to help with some pre-school aged kids either in a church or other context. That would definitely be out of my comfort zone. But, I think I might really enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment