I went home this weekend to celebrate with my family the 20th anniversary of the church I attended during high school (and that my parents still attend). I had been looking forward to it, but I ended up enjoying it even more than I anticipated.
The church hosted a dinner and a time for sharing testimonies on Saturday. Then Sunday morning, they had a special breakfast and service. I got to sing on one of the praise teams (the "old" praise team) with my sister and a friend of ours from those days. It was so much fun harmonizing and praising God together. I enjoyed hearing what people shared about their years at the church and how it had touched their lives. I particularly appreciated an email someone read from a former member who couldn't be there. Former pastors were on-hand, including the one who was there for my high school years. Although he was the lead pastor, he invested a lot of time and energy in the youth of the church. It was a blessing catching up with him and his wife.
Sunday after church, my sister and I met up with a couple of friends (one from the church and one from our high school days) for lunch. We shared pictures, reminisced on yonder years and just had fun catching up.
The old hymn, "Blest Be the Tie that Binds" has been stuck in my mind since then. I'm always impressed by the bond shared between those who are in Christ. It doesn't matter the time or distance that stands between, we're still one in Him... and always will be! What a sweet, sweet comfort.
No comments:
Post a Comment