Monday, February 14, 2011

Being Content in All Circumstances

I've grown up being frustrated by my own lack of contentment. Now, granted, there's the verse in the Bible that says, "Godliness with contentment is great gain" (I Tim. 6:6). True, true. I won't argue with that. However, I have a sense that "I'll be content when..."

I've begun to wonder if there isn't some benefit to being discontent. Doesn't being discontent help to remind me that I'll never be fully content here on Earth? In fact, maybe it's my lack of contentment that actually points me to God. If I were fully satisfied with my own life, I may never seek Him... the one person who can ultimately satisfy.

So, I offer my discontent to God, along with the desires of my heart. And I also have a sense that, regardless of my future, content or no, I'll be alright. And, even in my discontent, God will be faithful.

No comments: