Tuesday, January 08, 2008

For the New Year

I'm not a big fan of resolutions. (I did pretty well last year... without any real "resolutions.") That being said, I DO believe in goal-setting. :) (I know, I know... it's all semantics.) At this moment, there are only a few things I feel inspired to work on in 2008...

1) My relationship with Christ - I'm digging back into my One-Year Bible again. I just finished it in October, but I'm hoping not to take four or five years to get through this time. :) Regardless of the Bible reading, I would like to spend more time in prayer and one-on-one time with God this year. Sometimes I'm really bad about not doing that.

2) Budgeting - I need to reassess my financial situation. I'm currently working sans roommate. I've known in my head that it will be difficult for me to stay in the black (not to mention get ahead) without a roommate, and that was confirmed earlier tonight when I was drafting my budget. (YIKES!!!) So, I'm doing fine, and I'm not worried, but I do need to get in gear. I have a lead on a roommate, so I'll keep working on that. I'm also tossing around some other (more drastic) possibilities... selling my car? selling my house? I doubt I'll sell the house, but I'll tell you... after this ice storm, I was reminded of the ease of apartment dwelling... no yard to mow, no leaves to rake, no limbs to clear, no electricians to call, no roof to repair, etc., etc., etc.

3) Relationships - It probably sounds crazy and unrealistic to say that I'd like to get married this year (or at least make some meaningful steps in that direction). It probably also makes me sound either desperate or discontented with my single life. But, that's not really how I feel about it. In fact, I've really enjoyed my single life and all of the opportunities I've had as a single person - traveling, enjoying a variety of roommates, a strenuous career (for a time), lots of fun friendships, freedom in making decisions, and so on. But, sometimes the life of a single person is also a selfish life. I've been reminded of this more and more as I've had roommates the past year and a half, as I stayed with my friend and her family during my power outage and as ten of my family members stayed in my house over Christmas. But, most of all, I just feel ready to share my life with someone else. Now, God may have different plans. (That wouldn't really surprise me, because we're already WAY off course as compared to MY life plan.) So, I'd like to state (for the record) that I want what God wants. So, if it suits His purposes for me to stay single another year (or two, or ten, or fifty), then that's where I want to be. That'll keep me leaning on Him, which is probably reason enough for Him to keep me there. :)

That's probably enough to work on for one year, huh?

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!! Let me know what YOU have planned for 2008!

3 comments:

Sarah Rahija said...

Hey sis. Budgeting is on our "things to continue" list for this year. What a difference it has made in our life this year! I'm so thankful for Dave Ramsey!

Also, I am going to try to be healthier -- especially as this baby continues to grow inside. By the way, it's due 08/08/08 :)

I also want to incorporate more peace in our household - not replacing joyful noise, just some deliberate peacefulness in our home! Thanks for sharing! Love you!

Blythe Lane said...

Number 3 really resonates. I agree with you, singleness has been fun and enjoyable...and yet, there's just this sense that I'd still love to share my love with someone. It makes me think of something Susan Sarandon's character in Shall We Dance says:

"We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed because I will be your witness'."

Yeah, that's what I want.

Anonymous said...

And don't worry - marriage keeps you depending on God, too. Sometimes moreso as you realize that it's someone else's spiritual life at stake as well as your own.