Saturday, December 15, 2007

Things I Usually Take for Granted...

Heat - if it's a little cool, I usually just crank up the thermostat, add another blanket to the bed or find any number of warmer places to be. This week, I've been cold everywhere I go. I've been wearing long underwear, ski socks, sweaters, a coat and gloves!

Clean clothes/Washer/Dryer - I've been taking a few clothes at a time over to Jessica's house. But every day or two I have to go back by my house to load up again. Jessica at least has power now (off the generator), so I've been able to do a load of laundry. But, I think I'm to the end of my clean underwear, so I suppose I'll be making another trip by the house. (I haven't hit the end of my clean resources there... yet.)

Coffee - Warms drinks are somewhat hard to come by, especially early in the week. A lot of restaurants & coffee shops were closed. Without power it was difficult to make. (Coffee pots aren't always top priority when you're running a generator.) But, my neighbors were kind enough to run an extension cord from their house to mine so I could run my refrigerator. A couple of mornings, I'd run by to check on the house and would unplug the refrigerator long enough to brew a few cups of coffee. Mmmmmmm.

Internet access - I felt somewhat removed from the world. I've been able to check my email from a church I camped at for "work" early in the week and then various friends' computers (here later in the week).

Cell phones - I was a bit nervous on Monday... running low on gas, trapped in a war zone and limited cell phone juice. I've been carrying my charger with me all week with the hopes of finding a live plug here or there for recharging. (Such has fortunately been the case.)

My home/shelter - I've feel a bit nomadic this week. I realize how much I've taken for granted just the simple comfort of having a "home-base." I've felt a bit lost this week... unable to really focus on anything... like a wanderer... drifting from place to place.

Gas - My gas light came on Monday. I determined to fill up on Tuesday, and became a bit concerned with the first gas station I tried was dark and closed up. (I was hoping it was an electricity thing and not a gas shortage!) I did find another place, but the lines were backed up. I patiently waited my turn and mused at the variety of attitudes there... some people very kind and helpful... others angry and easily-agitated.

Okay... more later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krista,

I'm still interested in reading your book "Better Off"... Still have the same opinion about the book?

:)

David

Krista said...

Ha! Interesting point. My thoughts may have changed a bit. HOWEVER, I have enjoyed the more communal living this week, and I think that was one of his primary points... with less technology, people have to rely on each other more. I have enjoyed that about this outage. :)

I'm sure we'll have some good conversations about this over Christmas. (Remind then to give you that book!)